Education and licenses
State Bar of California
Certified Specialist, Family Law, 1999
Licensed to Practice Law, California, 1986
University of San Francisco, School of Law
Juris Doctor Degree, 1986
Magna Cum Laude
Bachelor of Arts Degree, 1982
Summa Cum Laude
Legal career history
FOX & BANK LLP, 1999 to present
Walnut Creek, CA
Partner and founding member of Fox & Bank LLP, a law firm specializing in all aspects of family law, including divorce, domestic partnership dissolution, pre-and post-marital agreements, child custody and minor’s counsel work, child support, spousal support and property issues. Practice areas include family law mediation and litigation. Ms. Fox is also collaboratively trained.
BROBECK, PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP, 1997-1999
San Francisco, CA
Associate in the Tax and Estate Planning Department of the formerly nationwide law firm of over 400 attorneys. Handled a wide range of complicated high income and asset family law cases, as well as probate and trust administration and estate planning matters.
COMMUNITY LAW CENTER, 1987-1997
Staff Attorney in a private nonprofit law firm that specialized in family law and probate matters for low income families. Handled a variety of family law matters, as well as probate, conservatorship and guardianship matters. Supervised and trained junior and intern attorneys.
LAW OFFICES OF LONG & LEVIT, 1986-1987; Summer 1985
San Francisco, CA
Associate attorney in a civil litigation firm which specialized in legal malpractice, officers and directors’ liability and insurance law.
SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA, Fall 1985
San Francisco, CA
Judicial Extern to the Honorable Joseph Grodin. Analyzed appellate briefs, writs and petitions. Prepared conference memoranda which assisted the Court in deciding whether to grant an appeal, writ or petition. Met weekly with Mr. Justice Grodin and staff to discuss pending appeals and writs and to examine relevant case law and legal issues. Proof-read and edited opinion drafts before publication.
Professional and acamedic awards recognition
AV® Preeminent (Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards), Martindale Hubbell every year since 2004
The National Advocates Top 100®: Listed as a Top 30 Matrimonial and Family Law Attorney
Listed in Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2008
Listed in The Top Women Attorneys in Northern California: 2012, 2016, 2017
Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers® every year since 2004
Listed in Top 10 Northern California Super Lawyers®: 2019
Listed in Top 50 Women Northern California Super Lawyers®: 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Listed in Top 100 Northern California Super Lawyers®: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Listed in West Coast’s Top Rated Lawyers for 2019 (National Law Journal)
Listed in Top Lawyers of California: 2019
Listed in San Francisco’s Top Attorneys: 2011
Listed in San Francisco’s Top-Rated Lawyers (ALM/Martindale Hubbell): since 2012
2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award (Marquis Who’s Who)
Named One of San Francisco’s Best Lawyers: 2009
Alameda County Family Court Services Certificate of Appreciation for excellence of service, compassion and caring to benefit Alameda County families in crisis, 1997
State Bar of California, Board of Governors Award for outstanding contribution to the delivery of pro bono legal services in California, 1988-1989
Law School Honors:
- Dean’s Award (graduated first in class)
- Law Review, Senior Staff Member
- American Jurisprudence Award, Wills and Trusts
- McAuliffe Honor Society
- Best Brief Award, Moot Court.
- Outstanding Student Award, 1982
- Bank of America Merit Award
- Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Psi Chi National Honor Society
- Dean’s List (all semesters)
Professional associations, boards and committee work
Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)
- Board of Managers, AAML Northern California Chapter, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Chair, AAML Northern California Chapter Membership/Board of Examiners, 2020, 2021
- Co-Chair, AAML Northern California Symposium, 2015
- Co-Head, AAML East Bay Mentoring Program, 2009-2012
- Co-Chair, AAML Northern California Chapter Mentoring Committee, 2011-2013
- Member, AAML Charitable Committee, 2009-2020
Judicial Evaluations Committee, Contra Costa County
- Chair of JEC, 2017-2019
- Co-Chair of JEC, 2015
- Member of JEC, 2014
Association of Certified Family Law Specialists (ACFLS)
- Member, Amicus Committee, 2005-2008
Art in the Courthouse
- Committee Member, 2007-2008
Collaborative Practice Group East Bay (CPEB)
- Member, Protocol Committee, 2007-2008
- Member, Social Committee 2009, 2010, 2011
Collaborative Practice Group of Contra Costa County (CPGCC)
- Member, Judicial Liaison Committee, 2006
Collaborative Lawyers of Alameda and Contra Costa (CLACC)
- Founding Member
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (2007-2012)
California State Bar Association
- Member, Family Law Section
Contra Costa Bar Association
- Member, Family Law Section 1999 to present
- Member, Family Law Section, Board of Directors, 2002-2003; 2006
- Member, Family Law Section, Programs Committee, 2002-2006
- Guest Editor, Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine, June 2002; May 2004
Alameda County Bar Association
- Member, Family Law Section, since 1987
- Member, Guardianship and Conservatorship Committee of Alameda County, 1993-1997
- Member, Death Review Subcommittee of Alameda County Bar Association, 1995-1997 – The subcommittee consisted of professionals from various public and private organizations, including judges, district attorneys, family law practitioners, family court mediators, police, social services, and health care providers. The subcommittee’s primary function was to create the organizational framework for the county’s first Review Team on domestic violence deaths.
Law Center for Families (formerly the Community Law Center and the Community Legal Aid Society of Alameda County)
- Member, Board of Directors, 1997-2000
Alumni Association of Dominican University
- President, Alumni Board of Directors, 1998
Participated on a legislative committee sponsored by the Assembly Committee on Judiciary to assist in drafting a family law bill (AB 3636).
Assisted in the creation, drafting and successful passage of a law (SB 312) to allow certain legal services organizations to incorporate as nonprofit professional corporations.
Publications and lectures
Co-Author, “Don’t Worry—Be Careful: Liability Issues in the Drafting and Reviewing of Premarital Agreements,” Contra Costa Lawyer, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 16-21, May 2000.
Author, “Toward a Constitutional Determination of Residency for California Income Tax Purposes,” 20 U.S.F.L. Rev. 289 (1986).
Panelist, AAML Northern California Chapter Pre-Symposium: Tips for Mediators by Consulting Attorneys; Tips for Consulting Attorneys by Mediators, May 2018
Panelist, AAML Northern California Chapter Meeting Lecture: Status of Mediation Confidentiality in California, March 2016
Panelist, AAML Northern California Chapter Symposium: Is Spousal Support Reform on the Horizon?, May 2013
Panelist, Continuing Education of the Bar Seminar: Crossover Issues in Estate Planning and Family Law, July 2010
Panelist, Contra Costa County Bar Association MCLE Spectacular: Trips and Traps of The Trial Scheduling Order, Nov. 2006
Panelist, AAML Northern California Chapter Trial Practicum 2006: Trial Preparation
Lecturer, Contra Costa Family Law Section Mentoring Group, 2017, 2018
Lecturer, Contra Costa Family Law Training Seminar (sponsored by Bay Area Legal Aid), 2004-2009, 2012
- Lecture to attorneys new to the practice of family law on an overview to marital property law.
University of San Francisco Mediation Clinic, 1996-1997
- Participated with USF Law School and Alameda County Family Court Services in the planning and development of a mediation clinic for USF law students. Ms. Fox’s role included guest lecturing students on the issues of child and spousal support and assisting individuals with mediation issues.
Alameda County Financial Mediation Project, 1995-1997
- Assisted the family court and family court judges by providing mediator services to pro per litigants involving financial issues, such as child support, spousal support and property and debt division.
Lecturer, Dominican University, 1996
- Designed and taught a college course in Forensic Psychology. Course topics included the uses and abuses of psychological tests; jury selection; recovered memory syndrome; child custody evaluations; and competence and the insanity defense.
Lecturer, Street Law Program, 1985
- Taught a course in “street law” to inner city high school students. Course topics included constitutional law, criminal law, and consumer and business law.
Guest Lecturer at various high schools and college classes.